Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Odor Removal

My car smells a little musty. I think it is because I put things from a basement into it and left them there overnight. I hate that odor and want to remove it. These tips also work for cigarette smoke removal*.

Several options:
~Put an open container of baking soda in the car.
~Put used coffee grounds in the car.
Both are odor absorbers.

Also, if you are going to store clothing in a basement or attic, I recommend making a sachet of baking soda to prevent odor absorption. We have lots of socks without mates at our house; find one (without a hole) at your house, fill the toe with baking soda and tie it off.

Many commercial odor absorbers and scented candles just mask the smell. Febreeze does this as well and also adds chemicals to the fabric and the air. Avoid these expensive chemical creations and just try baking soda and/or coffee grounds for a few days.

The other night, I cooked fish. It smelled awful at our house! I should have tried this tip to remove the odor:
~ Boil a teaspoon of white vinegar in 1 cup of water to remove unpleasant cooking odors.

*We found that these tactics wouldn't remove the cigarette smoke smell from wood. We had to strip and refinish in this case. Try them for fabrics, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!