Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Painting and Glazing a Wood Shelf

This was another *FREE* project! This shelf was in the old house we tore down to build this one. I spray painted it and then glazed it to put in our kids’ bathroom. (My hubby, who so wonderfully hung the shelf, placed the pictures on it. I haven’t yet decided how to decorate it, but I’m pretty sure they’ll be moving off of it!) IMG_2860

Here’s an up-close picture so you can see the glazing and antiquing.

IMG_2862

Here’s what I started with. I had to strip the old paint and finish (no photos for this stage).

IMG_2614

After I spray painted it a dark blue color, I thought it was just too flat. It lacked depth, so I glazed it. To glaze, you just apply a color of paint and wipe it off before it dries. Easy.

IMG_2822

This is the paint I used! Inexpensive.

IMG_2823

I used a foam brush to apply it and then a rag to wipe it off.

IMG_2824 IMG_2825

Please note: It is important to let the spray paint dry COMPLETELY before glazing. You will end up wiping into the spray paint coat if you attempt to glaze before the under coat is dry.

IMG_2861

After I glazed it, I took sandpaper and rubbed the edges to make it look a little worn. It looks pretty good for a free shelf.

It’s tough to get good pictures in a bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!