Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Yummy Recipe for .... Squash??

I've always HATED squash. (With the exception of spaghetti squash.)

However, we are members of a CSA (I forget what CSA stands for...but you join from April-November and get local foods every week.) Whatever produce is in season arrives every Wednesday to my husband's desk at work and he brings it home.

This week, he brought home a butternut squash. I was at a loss of what to do with that, since I *REALLY* dislike squash and all things resembling a sweet potato.


Photo credit: kconnors from morguefile.com

It stared at me all week. I avoided thinking of how I would use it. But last night (at 4:30 am, while feeding my not-so-tiny three month old) I looked up some recipes for butternut squash. Lots had suggestions of tons of butter, brown sugar, or even maple syrup. But in my kitchen, any recipe that starts out with a stick of butter (with the exception of cookies!) will not fly.

Also, some of the recipes called for roasting the squash. From my experience after making baby food, a squash is nearly impossible to cut in half when it is raw. So cutting it in half and placing it in a baking dish to roast for an hour was not in my ability (or time frame!)

The following recipe is how I ended up cooking the squash to suit my tastes.
(Tasty, yet healthy. Not sweet. Could be mistaken for mashed potatoes.)

2 small potatoes, any type
1 butternut squash, any size
splash of milk (~2 Tablespoons)
2 cloves of minced garlic
salt & pepper
1 T butter

1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Prick the squash with a fork and microwave it for about 8 minutes, turning it over halfway through cooking.

2. Remove the squash from the microwave and slice it in half. Scoop out the seeds and then take the skin off of the squash. Place the potatoes in a steamer and steam for 5 minutes.

3. Add the squash and steam until all pieces are very tender and mashable. (I made up that word.)

4. Place in a large mixing bowl and use a fork or potato masher to mash the squash and potatoes.

5. Add minced garlic, milk, salt & pepper. Using a hand mixer, beat all ingredients until smooth. Add the butter and beat some more until it is smooth.

I then put it in a casserole dish, covered it, and put it into a 300 degree oven to keep it warm.

I can't believe I actually LIKED squash!

I can't wait to make this again! Finally, an abundant vegetable prepared in a way that I *LOVE*!

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    I love all things butternut squash as long as they're savory, I have no idea why so many recipes call for humiliating otherwise healthy orange vegetables with pounds of brown sugar, loads of butter and...marshmallows.
    I just peel butternut squash, halve & scoop out guts and seeds, then cut into thin slices. Toss slices with olive oil, dump on a parchment baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast at 375 degrees until done. YUM.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!