Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Teach Your Child at Home: Part 2

My little guys love to play with water. So when I saw an idea on another blog for an educational water experience, I decided to try it. My three-year old loved it.
What is floating? What type of objects float? Why do they float? What is the opposite of floating?
IMG_7142
We gathered some random items around the kitchen and tested them in a large plastic bin. Silverware didn’t float. Neither did coins. Lids for plastic containers floated, but if they got filled with water, they sank.
Fun times.
We also tried to make a (pretend) hot-air balloon following some instructions in a book, but it didn’t work out too well. My three year old kept saying he wanted to make a ‘real’ hot air balloon and insisted all the materials we would need would be Daddy’s tools!

2 comments:

  1. have you tried using vinegar and baking soda in a bottle to fill up a balloon? My four-year-old loves this and it helps explain the principle of gasses. It's a little messy. The way I do it is to put some baking soda in the bottom of a plastic bottle, put a little bit of vinegar inside a balloon, pinch the balloon shut and fit it over the mouth of the bottle, and then let go so the vinegar pours out of the balloon and into the bottle causing the reaction. If you don't have the balloon sealed well it gets messy, but my daughter loves it when that happens as well.

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!