Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Frosted Shortbread Cookies

You can't judge a recipe by its title. Meaning: I wasn't too excited to make shortbread cookies. But these are amazing. 
I made these cookies last week for a church function and received more than one request for the recipe.  I thought I'd share it with all of you. 


cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 t vanilla
5 cups flour
1 t salt
1/2 t baking soda

frosting: 
1 cup butter, softened
1 t vanilla
pinch of salt
3 1/2 - 4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 T milk (or water, if you don't want to have to refrigerate them is a tip from my mom, a former home-ec teacher)

I like to use my big stand mixer for these. To make the cookies, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat well. Add vanilla and beat well. I then gradually add a few cups of flour, the salt and baking soda, and then gradually add the rest of the flour. 

Then, I press the dough into a big baking pan. As in 13" x 18". Wet your hands with cold water and you can press it down. It is easier than trying to use a spatula to spread it out. Keep wetting your hands with water as you find it sticking to your hands. 

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

For the frosting, mix the butter for awhile, then add the vanilla, salt and gradually add sugar. Then add the milk until you get the consistency you desire.

Do not try to ice them before they have completely cooled. 
Mmmm...enjoy you cookies.

I found this recipe via Pinterest from this source. I changed it a bit. 

1 comment:

  1. I love shortbread cookies, and these look great! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!