Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

DIY Fold Over Elastic Hair Ties

hair tie tutorial

I wanted to make a simple gift for some friends and both of my sisters-in-law. I have had some fold over elastic in my stash of craft and sewing supplies for awhile and it has not been easy to sew with (I’ve had several project FAILS!) But I just love the stuff and wanted to use it for something…so I decided to use it for simple hair ties.


And this project hardly requires a tutorial, but if you’re wondering what length to make them or how to make sure the ends don’t fray, follow this tutorial!

fold over elastic hair ties (5)

First, order your elastic. I ordered from an Etsy shop. You can get glittery elastic and printed elastic now, but I just had the solid stuff. In some fun colors.

I cut my strips of elastic about 10” long. This made hair ties loose enough to go around my wrist.

fold over elastic hair ties (6)

To prevent the hair ties from fraying at the edges, I heat sealed them with a lighter. (See this tutorial for using a candle to do the same.)

Then I just tied overhand knots.

fold over elastic hair ties (1)

I made cards for the hair ties and placed them three to a card.
fold over elastic hair ties (3)

I think they’ll make nice gifts. The colors make them lots of fun. And this type of hair tie doesn’t snag hair—they’re pretty nice to wear. These are the only type I wear!
fold over elastic hair ties (4)


Places I have linked:
Or So She SaysTrain to CrazyTater tots & Jello Merry Messy Life, Sugar Bee CraftsReasons to Skip the Housework,  The 36th Avenue, House of HepworthsSomeday CraftsSouthern Lovely504 Main,Serenity Now,  Fingerprints on the FridgeI heart NapTime, Classy ClutterA Glimpse Inside, Somewhat SimpleGingerly MadeSerenity NowToday's Creative BlogThe Winthrop ChroniclesHome Stories A to ZCraftyScrappyHappySix Sisters StuffOr so she says...Not just a Housewife

3 comments:

  1. I think you should put these in your Etsy shop :) Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe I will. Someday!

      Delete
    2. They are finally in the Etsy shop! And they're even cuter since I have NEW printed elastic. https://www.etsy.com/shop/MonkeySeeMail

      Delete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!